UNHINFO Hosting - Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get my department/organization home page on the UNHINFO server?
- How much disk quota do I get?
- Can I use UNHINFO for a personal home page?
- Can I use UNHINFO for a faculty/course page?
- What kind of Web site editing tool do you recommend?
- Are FrontPage extensions supported on the UNHINFO server?
- Is PHP supported on the UNHINFO server?
1) How do I get my department/organization home page on the UNHINFO server?
There is a service in place that allows information owners to place their pages on the UNHINFO server using FTP. Any recognized UNH department/organization is entitled to house its Web pages on the central UNHINFO server. The process starts by filling out an account application form.
Faculty/Staff can request an application via e-mail to UNHINFO Help (be sure to include your campus address) or pick one up in the Dimond Academic Commons Information Technology Support Center (DAC ITSC) in the Dimond Library, 3rd floor. Faculty/Staff accounts can remain active indefinately but are subject to periodic review to determine employment status and/or usage frequency.
Students representing recognized student organizations can pick up an application in the MUB. Applications should be available at either the main MUB Office, the MUB Information Desk, or in the student organization resource room. Completed applications must be dropped off at the MUB Office for authorization. The MUB staff will forward them appropriately. Student FTP accounts are valid for a period of one academic year only. Student accounts will be subject to review twice a year to determine student registration status and organization recognition status.
2) How much disk quota do I get?
Every site on UNHINFO is allocated 10MB of disk space, which is more than enough for most sites serving basic information. If you need more space, or have special usage needs, please contact the Web Administrator via e-mail.
3) Can I use UNHINFO for a personal home page?
No. The UNHINFO server is used primarily for hosting department and organization Web sites. Individuals with a cisunix account can create a personal "pubpages" site. Follow this link for more information.
4) Can I use UNHINFO for a faculty/course page?
Yes. We provide space to faculty for hosting academic-related Web sites, including course sites. Faculty wishing to host personal pages can create a personal "pubpages" site. Follow this link for more information.
5) What kind of Web site editing tool do you recommend?
If you are familiar with the HTML coding language you can use a plain text editor. Otherwise we recommend using Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is supported by Information Technology.
7) Is PHP supported on the UNHINFO server?
No. PHP is not supported on the UNHINFO server. However, Web Solutions offers a fee-based "LAMP" service (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) on an alternative platform for clients needing this hosting environment. Contact Web Solutions for more information on this service, and for a free cost estimate.