Directed Communication System (DCS)
Welcome to the information page for the UNH Directed Communication System (DCS). DCS has replaced the UNH Community Special Announcement Posting or "mass mail" system. DCS is accessible via MyUNH/Blackboard under the "Directed Communication" tab.
DCS was developed specifically to enable sending official emails to groups within the University, for example, "All Faculty," "PAT staff," "UNH undergraduate students," "UNH Faculty, Staff, and Students," etc. Since these are to be focused, official messages, members of the UNH community who want access to DCS must be approved at the Provost or Vice Presidential level. DCS was created under the guidance of the Directed Communication Working Group.
To ensure that the University community is not inundated with messages, access to the DCS is restricted to central offices and others who need to send institutional messages to broad audiences. Access to the DCS must be approved by the Provost, Vice President, or Dean according to the requestor's reporting line. For more information on gaining access to DCS, click here.
Messages created in the DCS require approval. The following criteria govern message approval:
- Any Vice President or his/her formally declared designee may approve a directed communication email.
- Approval queues will be associated with the following UNH community groups:
- Faculty—Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Students—Vice President for Student and Academic Services
- Staff—Vice President for Finance and Administration or his formally declared designee.
- Faculty, Students, and/or Staff in a specific School, College, or the UNH Library—Dean of the school or college
- Graduate Students—Dean of the Graduate School or his/her formally declared designee.
- When a requested directed communication email crosses UNH community groups (i.e. is to be sent to, for example, Faculty and Staff), the request will be queued to the Executive Assistant to the President.
- Central Offices (Business Services, Registrar's Office, Financial Aid Office, Housing) are approved to send email to specific student populations (for example, students who have outstanding balances, etc.) by the Director (Registrar) of the central office.